Tuesday, May 17, 2005

When you’ve finished writing the poem, start walking again. Choose a straight line and start walking. You should not deviate from this line until you are absolutely forced to. If a wall appears in your way, try to climb it. At this stage you should not attempt to knock on anyone’s door.

Let people sleep. They are not interested in you yet.

You should walk in silence. As you walk, imagine that you are a racist. Try to think how a racist would think. Try to get in their minds, work out why they might think like that. Do this for 5 minutes and then try and imagine that you are not a racist. Work out why you are not. Do this for 5 minutes.

Consider whether or not it is okay for a black person to wear a t-shirt with NIGGERS GO HOME written on it.

Work out the rights and wrongs of this. If you decide it’s okay make a pact with yourself to go into business selling these t-shirts.

You have no obligation to keep this pact but try and believe that this will happen even if it’s for just a second or two.

When the 15 minutes is up, stop. Look around you. Try and find a spot you have never sat in and sit down. Look at this place carefully, as if you were trying to memorise it. If there’s grass, notice how long it is, if there’s a wall, notice the texture. Imagine a painting of yourself made out of these substances. Imagine how your face would look in concrete or brick or grass.

Wait here for 5 minutes. Practice deep breathing. In through the nose, out through the mouth. Do this all the time you are waiting.

Now walk until you find a large patch of grass. This can be a field or a garden or a park. This is your main task for tonight and it may take a while. You need to collect clumps or grass – no earth, no dirt, nothing riddled – and form them into Moon Nests.

Moon Nests are where Moonbirds roost. Moonbirds take the moon into the sky and only come down in the mystery time between night and day. Moon Nests take the form of circular mounds. Each moon nest should be approximately 10 inches in diameter and 2 or 3 inches tall. You need to make 5 of these.

Remember: no earth.

Find somewhere suitable for them. They need to be clearly seen and you need to be able to label them. They should be on the pavement or a wall or a drain cover. You should write next to them:

Moon Nests. Please Do Not Disturb.

When you are done you should make your way home. It’s time to play the next song.

Coil – Christmas is now drawing near at hand

10 Comments:

At 8:38 AM, Blogger R said...

It would be interesting to video tape yourself doing this...

 
At 9:10 AM, Blogger Kempernorton said...

You make it sound like it hasn't already happened...

 
At 9:10 AM, Blogger miz_mandz said...

what do you mean, i need to imitate everything?

 
At 11:23 AM, Blogger Jane King said...

Thanks for the note.

 
At 5:23 PM, Blogger ScarletNight said...

I do imitate everything - in my own way. After all, I am living in the most natural state of the female in the animal kingdom *laugh*

 
At 7:28 PM, Blogger Kamelein Dreemer said...

THANK YOU!!! My life is so much simpler since following your instructions...I would always walk a crooked line after writing a poem before...DUH!!!! If I walk a straight line, then I could get to that location where I can make those moon nests for those cute little moon birdies a lot faster! I recommend Sharpie markers to make the sign so no one disturbs them. ANYONE WHO DISTURBS MY MOON BIRDIES IN THEIR CUTE LITTLE MOON NEST...BUGGER OFF!!!

 
At 7:13 AM, Blogger K Murphy J said...

Thanks for stopping by my photoblog and commenting. I like the theme of your blog. And it reminds me of a quote by Salvador Dali that I really like... "Those who do not want to imitate anything, produce nothing." :)

 
At 11:30 PM, Blogger Radiohumper said...

I don't consciously imitate anyone, but of course, every writer is a magpie and a thief. There, I just imitated, I mean, quoted Elvis Costello. Who knows who he imitates. And so on.

Dude, you had me, then you lost me.
Awesome blog (even if you plagiarize girls are pretty a little flagrantly), good writing.

But, dropping comments to lead to your site on posts you don't even read? Just rude.

Good luck.

 
At 2:51 PM, Blogger Kempernorton said...

radiohumper... let's just say they told me to do it.

 
At 2:48 PM, Blogger Jeni Paij said...

Who are the mysterious "They" you are referencing? (If I may be so bold as to ask for your "Source.")

Imitation is both truly an Art and the highest form of flattery.

I am not quite ready to follow your lead.

I must ask, why should I follow you and where do you go for your instructions?

I, very much, would like to know what prompted you to offer what you have written in this darkened corner of cyberspace.

So, who do you love and why should I care?

Call me only a truly open-minded, immensely curious and healthy skeptic...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home